PS5 / PS4: Physical games are now in the minority, here are the numbers

PS5 / PS4: Physical games are now in the minority, here are the numbers


Game news PS5 / PS4: Physical games are now in the minority, here are the numbers

We have known this for some time: the dematerialized aspect of video games represents the future, to the displeasure of disc worshipers. Sony has just revealed a share of physical games sold…

Physical gaming on the PlayStation is declining

In 2000, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 began a major cycle in the era of home console video games: the advent of dematerialized video games. From then on, the trend will gradually accelerate Blu-Ray is in decline in favor of digital stores, whose sales have increased over the years. That is a fact and it will be difficult to reverse this trend.

Today, in 2022, the digital age has never been so overwhelming. Sony has published some very interesting information on this topic in its investor document: only 20% of video game revenue sold on PS4 and PS5 comes from the physical sector, the remaining 80% comes from the digital domain. Suffice it to say that the latter should collect a few percent in the coming years.

A policy that increasingly relies on digital

First of all, it is worth recalling why digital is so strong today. First,Easy consumption change thanks to network infrastructure and easy to use digital game ; also followed by the strong arrival of free-to-play, numerous PlayStation Store promotions (PS4 and PS5, of course) and restrictions due to the COVID-19 crisis, which greatly speeds things up.

PS5 / PS4: Physical games are now in the minority, here are the numbers

But is it bad? Not necessarily for players – the sector is changing and evolving to offer new advantages (and disadvantages), it is even quite normal for industry – but much more for physical features, who are definitely trying to find their account in the sinking market.

In the same document mentioned above, Sony also revealed its positions for the coming years, and surprisingly they do not pass through the physical sector: PC porting, cloud gaming, metaverse, mobile and virtual reality, all sectors that should continue to suppress traditional disc sales – not to mention the new PlayStation Plus and its hundreds of free games.




Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.